I developed the Steampunkables characters and environment on the LEA23 sim under a grant from the Linden Endowment for the Arts (LEA) in the virtual world of Second Life.
I helped develop the Edgar Allan Poe MetaStory for Cloud Party’s 1 year anniversary, which you can explore first hand for a limited time at: https://a.cloudparty.com/loc/2688/-17.5,-21.6,2.6,1.5 (best viewed with Google Chrome browser) Photos also provided below. We are currently doing this build in SpotON3D OpenSim grid and Unity 3D too in order to assess the differences between these 3 platforms.
Second Life & Open Simulator
The following provides images of my work in virtual worlds with Project MOSES OpenSim grid, Second Life, Unity 3D, and concepts for virtual wargames. Under the slideshow is some additional information and links about Virtual Intelligence which I developed for U.S. Joint Forces Command as part of the Department of Defense’s futures research. Note that some of these photos include open source virtual assets which I leveraged from ADL 3DR and OpenVCE OAR or from team-based development projects which I led.
I helped design sims in both Second Life (SL) and OpenSim virtual worlds, and have experience with several other virtual worlds (Blue Mars, Cloud Party, IMVU, Olive, etc.) and game engines (Unity 3D, Torque 3D, Unreal). While serving as a futurist and graphic designer at U.S. Joint Forces Command (USJFCOM J59 Joint Futures Group), I was asked to develop an area in Second Life for the Joint Operating Environment (JOE) to capture the tacit knowledge and to explain/illustrate how futures research was done to determine trends and contexts of how they might affect the future Joint Force. The JOE (or Joint Operating Environment) looked at major global trends (like population changes, migration, scarcity of resources, climate change, etc.) to see what future contexts they may form to help people around the world better prepare for those future challenges. This work included development of N1H1 virus response scenarios and collaboration with Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) as part of the Open Virtual Collaboration Environment (Open VCE) with Army Research Lab and the University of Edinburgh on the Whole of Society Crisis Response (WOSCR).
My work in AI included design of an advanced AI Agent modeled after military strategist SunTzu from ancient China. Sun Tzu’s virtual guide capabilities and advanced artificial intelligence were demonstrated at MODSIM World on October 14-16, 2009 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. Sun Tzu uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies from Daden Limited inside of the virtual world Second Life. This advanced AI provides many capabilities for the use of automated avatars in virtual worlds for training and as virtual guides including: (1) Guided tours; (2) Avatar movements; (3) Teleportation; (4) Web scraping; (5) Chatbot; (6) Emotion engine; (7) Instant messaging; (8) Twitter updates; and (8) Ability to learn from the environment. The “web scraping” technology enables the Virtual Guide to respond to questions by scraping data off web services (like Wikipedia and others) to provide responses to your questions. The avatar became a virtual guide in Second Life where people could learn about the future by studying the past and present.
Additionally I worked with the Virtual IEEE to develop the Artificial Intelligence Learning Center (AILC) in SL, where we taught classes on artificial intelligence (AI) and encouraged others to pursue this area of study further with Standford University.
Links for additional information:
- Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh, Intelligent Virtual Worlds Programme
- “Virtual Guides: A Hybrid Approach to Immersive Learning,” GameTech 2012
- “Virtual Intelligence: The Intersection of Virtual Worlds and Artificial Intelligence,” ModSim World Canada 2010: http://prezi.com/bcjqn-zkxvxh/virtual-intelligence/
- Daden Limited Artificial Intelligence: http://www.daden.co.uk
- MyCyberTwin: http://openvce.net/mycybertwin
- “Tonight Live with Paisley Beebe” – start of interview with Joey Obama on Sun Tzu and IEEE Artificial Intelligence Learning center at around 32:20. Episode 113 Broadcast 14 March 2010: http://treet.tv/shows/tonightlive/episodes/tlpb-14mar10
- Prezi briefing on “Virtual Intelligence” for MODSIM World Canada 2010: http://prezi.com/bcjqn-zkxvxh/virtual-intelligence/
- Wikipedia on Virtual Intelligence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Intelligence